Andela Learning Community Code of Conduct
Be excellent to each other!
Andela was founded on a simple truth: Talent is equally distributed, but the opportunity is not. Andela is excited to partner with top technology companies like Google and Udacity to more equitably distribute opportunities to talented aspiring technologists across Africa.
How do we plan to get to the goal of mobilizing 100,000 world-class developers in Africa? We start by open-sourcing the knowledge and resources we’ve amassed in the past three years so that technologists across the continent can build their skills.
Through the ALC, Andela invests in communities of talented technologists across Africa. Our goal is to provide an ever-growing population of aspiring technologists with the resources and environments they need to become world-class problem solvers.
- Andela is a family and we welcome you as such PLEASE behave like a family, make friends, share ideas, learn, grow and hear about exciting things that are happening. For the rest of this journey please consider this group your family, and know that this is our home. We live on SLACK!!!
- One practice we would like you to learn from Andela is the idea that You Own Your Learning. What you learn will be up to you and we would mostly facilitate your learning.
- What others learn will be driven by how you support them. We encourage you all to share resources, ask questions, seek help, and provide mentorship to one another.
- Conduct or speech which might be considered sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist or otherwise discriminatory or offensive in nature.
- Do not use unwelcome, suggestive, derogatory or inappropriate nicknames or terms.
- Do not show disrespect towards others. (Jokes, innuendo, dismissive attitudes.)
- Disrespect towards differences of opinion.
- Inappropriate use of Certificates issued upon course completion.
- Using Andela’s brand or knowledge gained from the program to commit cybercrime and any other unethical issues.
- Inappropriate attention or contact. Be aware of how your actions affect others. If it makes someone uncomfortable, stop.
- Not understanding the differences between constructive criticism and disparagement.
- Sustained disruptions.
- Violence, threats of violence or violent language.
- Posting or displaying sexually explicit or violent material.
- Posting or threatening to post other people’s personally identifying information ("doxing").
- Inappropriate photography or recording.
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.
- Sustained disruption of community events, including talks and presentations.
Unacceptable behavior from any community member, including sponsors and those with decision-making authority, will not be tolerated.
Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
If a community member engages in unacceptable behavior, the community organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including a temporary ban or permanent expulsion from the community without warning (and without refund in the case of a paid event).
- Understand that speech and actions have consequences, and unacceptable behavior will not be tolerated.
- If violations occur, Andela will take any action they deem appropriate for the infraction.
We Live On Slack!
- Update your Slack profile:
- Put your role in the GADS Program(GADS Learner-Track-Team-X, GADS Mentor) as well as your Country in your slack profile Bio/What I do Section for example :
- “GADS Android : Team-AAD-1 from Nairobi, Kenya”
- “GADS Frontend Developer: Team-MWS-56 from Kampala, Uganda”
- “GADS Android Dev: Team-GCP-3 from Abuja, Nigeria”
- “GADS Mobile Web Specialist: MWS-5 from J'Borg, Africa”
- Update your profile image. The image can be of you, a favorite animal, avatars that you use on social media, be it cartoon avatars or images symbolic only to you.
- Be nice and friendly, do address or treat other members in a manner in which you will want to be treated. If you are found to be rude or unfriendly, you will be evicted.
- Check out the purpose/topic of the channels you have been added to, so you know what to say, what not to say, as you will be asked to delete and repost if you post in the wrong channel.
- 1.Change the name or purpose of a channel for any reason.
- 2.Post the same message in 2 different channels. If you do, you will be asked to delete one or both messages will be deleted. Basically, NO CROSS POSTING.
- 1.Although you can share a post from one channel to another, you can only do this ONCE, so as not to spam other channels.
- 3.Impersonate another member; by using the same username or profile picture or one that is very similar or close to that of another member.
- 4.Only participate when you can be constructive - Just because you can make a comment, doesn’t mean you should. Avoid trolling or spamming other users within the platform.
- 5.Post sexually explicit content or otherwise content banned in your country
- 6.Post tips on how to download, or links to downloading someone else’s copyrighted content for free
- 7.Post someone else’s content. Always post your own content. If you like something you saw elsewhere, please just link to it on the #random or #general channel and not both.
- 8.Post Personal Attacks. Personal attacks will not be tolerated
- 9.Post Discrimination and Abuse posts. Attacks on a person’s tribe, religion, gender, sexual orientation or any other affiliation will not be tolerated. You will be evicted immediately and your enrolment to udacity cancelled.
If you see people not following our etiquette guidelines, you have two options:
- Message them privately, and explain why what they said might have been hurtful to someone, referring to this guide.
- Call our attention on the #askgadsteam channel and we will respond also endeavour to include a link to the conversation or a screenshot if possible
Our Code of Conduct was inspired by and borrows content from Codes of Conduct of other open source projects, including:
Andela or the ALC is not liable for any misuse of information or knowledge acquired from the ALC. Also, members of the ALC do not represent Andela in any way and being a part of the ALC is not deemed as working for Andela. This Code of Conduct is subject to revisions by the ALC team.
Current version 2.0